Minutes of the Parish Pastoral Council – 13 January 2019

The latest meeting of the Parish Pastoral Council discussed the church development, Eucharistic Congress and this year’s International One Parish Mass, among other topics.

Attendees: Jack Warr (Chair), Richard Turner (Vice Chair), Andrew Yacoub, Stephanie Stoner , Susan Lowery, Veronica Edghill,  Utz Reiff, Mary Crosby, John Warren, Fr. Tom, Deacon Barry, Henry Essilfie,

Apologies: Deacon Aidan, Deacon Gary, Tomasz Szadowski, Debbie Read, Phil Barber, Richard Boyle (no longer taking part in the PPC)

The meeting opened with a prayer, before a review of the minutes of the previous meeting on 18 November 2018.

Church development update – A 3D model is currently being developed to further support the scheme proposal. The Church is seeking to appoint a project manager (deferred until the scheme is approved). Brian Quinn will present the scheme on 27 January to the project board. Key item is to develop further detail of the proposed scheme.

Next intention is for the project to be presented to the Parish on 10 February. A sub-group of the project board and Brian Quinn will be tasked to present to further groups such as the diocese.

Carmel Zammit and finance committee are to develop finance plan for the project. Current calculations show that the church has funds of approximately £850,000 available. Current project is estimated at £2.1 million.

Eucharistic Congress – No major developments. Trying to continue to work as a deanery and to develop the next steps forward. Next film still to be confirmed but will be presented as a deanery.

Main focus is to bring everyone together and continue the momentum.

Exposition of the Blessed Sacarament for parents and children to be planned for Lent (as was done for Advent).

International One Parish Mass – Initial planning meeting to take place on 24 January, 8pm in upper room.

After initial meeting, teams to divide in separate groups (liturgy, entertainment, catering, ground planning etc.). Teams to then re-group after Easter to co-ordinate plans. Team have been in touch with St. Joseph’s School to agree on date and access.

Review of numbers and times of Masses – Garry to collect and provide mass attendance data for review at the next meeting. PPC asked to think and pray about possible options.

Review of PPC membership – All members present have confirmed that they are happy to continue with being a part of the PPC for 2019. Confirmation from those who could not attend to confirm via email. St Swithun representative required for the PPC.

Video and sound proposal – Work in progress. Mike Bell to put in writing the exact proposal. Choirs to be consulted about the proposal.

Alpha course – Further detail to be developed to determine teams and volunteers required. Update to be provided following this meeting. Information to be be created to be advertised on newsletter.

Sub Group updates

Welcome and Integration – Short on members for the Saturday 6pm and Sunday 5pm mass. Current members to try and identify potential new members to join. Action for all members. Jack Warr to seek volunteers by speaking to existing welcomes at 6pm and 5pm masses.

Spiritual Life (Alpha Update) – See above regarding the update on Alpha.

Social – Quiz night being hosted on 2 Feb. Plans made by School for St. Patrick’s day. Cheese and wine night for all parishoners (new and old) on 5 March. Page to be created on newsletter identifying social events (permanent fixture).

Communication – A small group has been formed breaking down developing the ChurchSuite system for the church, with members taking responsibility of a specific module. Members will consult with St. Edmunds Beckenham to gather knowledge on their experience of ChurchSuite, to then dictate the information we would like to capture, which will also be consulted with the Pastoral Team. Meeting organised in February to build on the research completed.

Young Church – No meeting since last year. Initiative with alter servers and St. Joseph’s kids underway. 38 alter servers currently committed. New rota every quarter with 2-3 children at every mass. Almost all alter servers are from St. Joseph’s, so efforts to be made to contact parents with children from other schools (action – Stephanie). Another adult required to assist for 11am mass. Flame taking place at Wembley Arena, group to determine if they can organise a group to attend (with Susan Longhurst). Action for all members.

St Swithun’s – No report received.

Any other business – Cafod Livesimply initiative started to encourage people and families towards sustainable living. PPC members encouraged to get involved.

The meeting closed with a prayer.

Date of next meeting: Sunday 3 March 2019, 6.15pm Upper Room St Joseph’s Church Hall