With effect from the 1st Sunday of Advent 2017, two holy days of obligation are being reinstated.
This decision was made by the Bishops of England and Wales, and has been confirmed by the Holy See.
The days are:
- The Epiphany of the Lord — 6 January (transferred to the adjacent Sunday when it falls on Saturday or Monday)
- The Ascension of the Lord — Thursday after 6th Sunday of Easter.
The full list of Holydays of Obligations for England and Wales are as follows:
- Every Sunday
- The Nativity of the Lord (25 December)
- Epiphany of the Lord (6 January*)
- The Ascension of the Lord — Thursday after 6th Sunday of Easter
- St Peter & St Paul (29 June*)
- Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (15 August*)
- All Saints (1 November*)
- Body and Blood of the Lord – Sunday after Trinity Sunday
*Holy days that fall on Saturday or Monday are transferred to the Sunday.